Wednesday, December 21, 2005

UK rules!


Gay marriage has been granted for gay and lesbian couple.I was kinda surprised, did anybody know before it was announced? In France, it was totally unknown until G-day. Anyway, as I do not have (yet) any opinion on gay marriage, I'll just tell a few words. Is it possible, as queer theorists are saying it, that by acknowledging the importance of marriage, LGBT people could be reinforcing one of the main heteronormative institutions eveeeeer? I agreed first with this statement, and I think I still agree with this. BUT, the fact that people have been granted rights they have been denied since a long time (ever?) AND their simple happiness are facts that shake my convictions. Maybe mariage should just be replace by somthing guaranting the same rights and effects BUT deprived of its symbolism and its religious connotations. Maybe exactly what the British have done some days ago. Maybe what could become in a couple of years (hopefully) the French PACS.
P.S : kitsch and Elton John could have waited some more... Posted by Picasa